[CLUE-Cert] [lynnd@techangle.com: Re: CLUE certification group meeting]

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Wed Jun 26 08:47:12 MDT 2002

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:55:34 -0600
Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com> wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:47:48 -0600
> From: Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com>
> To: Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com>
> Subject: Re: CLUE certification group meeting
>
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> >On 06-23 11:46, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> >> I updated the cert group meeting web page.  I put down the
> >> topic as labs 4 and 12.  Please let me know if you'd like this
> >> changed before the end of the week.
> >>
> >Sounds good. We may have already done 12, but I'm not sure, so if we do it
> >again, that's fine by me, since I've obviously fuzzy on the details. Just so
> >you know, I'm not married to any of these labs - I just wanted to do ones
> >that looked like we could do (i.e., don't need a modem) and aren't a re-hash
> >of stuff we already know(i.e., using ftp).
> >
> >Others of possible interest: Lab 6, Lab 11, Lab 13, Lab 15...as always, it's
> >probably best to play it by ear and follow the interests of the group.
> >Sometimes those tangents are where I pick up some of the coolest stuff. :)
>
> Yes, I agree.  We seem to be letting tangents take over the meetings more
> and more.  Maybe that's ok, but then perhaps we should change the name of
> our group to simply be a CLUE study group instead of a certification group.
> I'm as guilty of this digression as much as anyone and mainly because I
> haven't been staying on top of the material in the certification study guide.

I would be OK with the CLUE study group. This seems to be what it evolved into now that the future of linux certs are in question.

> I'm CC'ing this to CLUE-Cert list for further discussion.  The question in
> my mind is where do we want to go from here?
>
> There's still a fair bit of stuff to cover in the Networking book, but I
> know Jef would like to move on to security topics.

Don't let me rush you guys. If you guys want to go through the networking book and do the labs, I'm cool with that. We do have machines available and should take advantage of that. Just let me know what the setup is that you need and I will try to get it setup.

> There are a few things I'd like to cover before we move on.  One is setting
> up a NIS master server (and possibly a slave).  Another is setting up a DNS
> server.  I'd also like to discuss the networking commands that we (as a
> group)
> feel are essential.  The top ten or twenty perhaps?

Read the responce above.

> Samba is something that's covered in the Sair Network materials.  I'm
> pretty familiar with that already, but I'd be willing to help go over it
> if the rest of the group is interested.  Comments?
>
> Would anyone be interested in working through more of the labs in the
> Networking guide?  Sean's mentioned a few.  Anyone else?
>
> At one point we had talked about staying with certification, but switching
> over to the LPI program.  How does everyone feel about this now?  Should
> we forge ahead with material in the Sair Security study guide or review
> LPI materials for a while?

I say that we use the Sair books that "we" have now and continue. No sence in wasting the money already invested in these books.