[CLUE-Cert] [lynnd@techangle.com: Re: CLUE certification group meeting]

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Wed Jun 26 21:44:43 MDT 2002

On 06-26 08:47, Jef Barnhart wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:55:34 -0600 Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > Yes, I agree.  We seem to be letting tangents take over the meetings
> > more and more.  Maybe that's ok, but then perhaps we should change the
> > name of our group to simply be a CLUE study group instead of a
> > certification group.  I'm as guilty of this digression as much as anyone
> > and mainly because I haven't been staying on top of the material in the
> > certification study guide.
>
> I would be OK with the CLUE study group. This seems to be what it evolved
> into now that the future of linux certs are in question.

Sounds like Dave, Lynn and Jef are saying the same thing. I'm on board, too.
I like the tangents. That ettercap tangent is one that comes to mind as
being very interesting. Also, some of Lynn's bash tips (this is going way
back to fall of 2000) have been pretty helpful. Maybe we can continue
rambling on as we have, and just using the books as loose guides for what to
move onto?

> > I'm CC'ing this to CLUE-Cert list for further discussion.  The question
> > in my mind is where do we want to go from here?
> >
> > There's still a fair bit of stuff to cover in the Networking book, but I
> > know Jef would like to move on to security topics.
>
> Don't let me rush you guys. If you guys want to go through the networking
> book and do the labs, I'm cool with that. We do have machines available
> and should take advantage of that. Just let me know what the setup is that
> you need and I will try to get it setup.

I'd love to do the DNS/NIS stuff Lynn mentions below...do we want to skip
the labs, and move right to something like this? Or go through the shorter
labs, and then do one or both of these?

> > There are a few things I'd like to cover before we move on.  One is
> > setting up a NIS master server (and possibly a slave).  Another is
> > setting up a DNS server.  I'd also like to discuss the networking
> > commands that we (as a group) feel are essential.  The top ten or twenty
> > perhaps?
>
> Read the responce above.

Here's a start:
1. ping
2. ifconfig
3. nslookup
4. nmap
5. ssh group (ssh, scp, sftp)
6. netstat
7. traceroute
8. ettercap >:)

> > Samba is something that's covered in the Sair Network materials.  I'm
> > pretty familiar with that already, but I'd be willing to help go over it
> > if the rest of the group is interested.  Comments?
> >
> > Would anyone be interested in working through more of the labs in the
> > Networking guide?  Sean's mentioned a few.  Anyone else?
> >
> > At one point we had talked about staying with certification, but
> > switching over to the LPI program.  How does everyone feel about this
> > now?  Should we forge ahead with material in the Sair Security study
> > guide or review LPI materials for a while?
>
> I say that we use the Sair books that "we" have now and continue. No sence
> in wasting the money already invested in these books.

I'm completely ambivalent on this one. I don't own the SAIR security guide
or any LPI materials, so whatever you guys want to do is fine by me.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome