[CLUE-Cert] [lynnd@techangle.com: Re: CLUE certification group meeting]

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Thu Jun 27 10:49:50 MDT 2002

Lynn>>> We seem to be letting tangents take over the meetings more and more.
Lynn>>> Maybe that's ok, but then perhaps we should change the name of our
Lynn>>> group to simply be a CLUE study group and [drop] certification ...

Jef>> I would be OK with the CLUE study group. This seems to be what it
Jef>> evolved into now that the future of linux certs are in question.

David> All these suggestions all sound good:
David>        Renaming the group
David>        Focusing on specific topics
David>        Working on labs
David>        Deemphasizing certification(s)

Sean> Sounds like Dave, Lynn and Jef are saying the same thing. I'm on board,
Sean> too.  I like the tangents. <snip> Maybe we can continue rambling on as
Sean> we have and just using the books as loose guides for what to move onto.

Lynn>>> There are a few things I'd like to cover before we move on.  One is
Lynn>>> setting up a NIS master server (and possibly a slave).  Another is
Lynn>>> setting up a DNS server.

Sean> I'd love to do the DNS/NIS stuff Lynn mentions below...do we want to skip
Sean> the labs, and move right to something like this? Or go through the shorter
Sean> labs, and then do one or both of these?

How about we look through the labs to see if anything else is of interest
to the group and skip the rest.  There's a lab on Apache.  I'm not sure
how appropriate an Apache lab is to networking, but it's a killer app for
sure and one that I would like to go into in some depth if the group is
interested.

Since no one has commented on Samba, I'll assume interest in that is
minimal or that those who care about it are already familiar with it.

How about inetd?  Is everyone already comfortable configuring services
through inetd?

I personally know nothing about snmp (simple network management protocol).
I can't think of a better time to cover this topic.  Is anyone else
interested?

MTA's are another killer app.  We've looked a bit at smtp and sendmail
configuration.  Is there any interest in covering this in more depth?
Possibly looking at another MTA like qmail?Lynn>>> I'd also like to discuss the networking commands that we (as a group)
Lynn>>> feel are essential.  The top ten or twenty perhaps?

Sean> Here's a start:
Sean> 1. ping
Sean> 2. ifconfig
Sean> 3. nslookup
Sean> 4. nmap
Sean> 5. ssh group (ssh, scp, sftp)
Sean> 6. netstat
Sean> 7. traceroute
Sean> 8. ettercap >:)

A good start.  I would categorize ettercap and ssh as app's rather than
command line utilities, but that's quibbling.

Being a samba twit, I'd probably add nmblookup and smbclient to the list.

Other suggestions?