[CLUE-Cert] [lynnd@techangle.com: Re: CLUE certification group meeting]

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Thu Jun 27 11:25:53 MDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:49:50 -0600
Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> wrote:

> Lynn>>> We seem to be letting tangents take over the meetings more and more.
> Lynn>>> Maybe that's ok, but then perhaps we should change the name of our
> Lynn>>> group to simply be a CLUE study group and [drop] certification ...
>
> Jef>> I would be OK with the CLUE study group. This seems to be what it
> Jef>> evolved into now that the future of linux certs are in question.
>
> David> All these suggestions all sound good:
> David>        Renaming the group
> David>        Focusing on specific topics
> David>        Working on labs
> David>        Deemphasizing certification(s)
>
> Sean> Sounds like Dave, Lynn and Jef are saying the same thing. I'm on board,
> Sean> too.  I like the tangents. <snip> Maybe we can continue rambling on as
> Sean> we have and just using the books as loose guides for what to move onto.
>
> Lynn>>> There are a few things I'd like to cover before we move on.  One is
> Lynn>>> setting up a NIS master server (and possibly a slave).  Another is
> Lynn>>> setting up a DNS server.
>
> Sean> I'd love to do the DNS/NIS stuff Lynn mentions below...do we want to skip
> Sean> the labs, and move right to something like this? Or go through the shorter
> Sean> labs, and then do one or both of these?
>
> How about we look through the labs to see if anything else is of interest
> to the group and skip the rest.  There's a lab on Apache.  I'm not sure
> how appropriate an Apache lab is to networking, but it's a killer app for
> sure and one that I would like to go into in some depth if the group is
> interested.
>
> Since no one has commented on Samba, I'll assume interest in that is
> minimal or that those who care about it are already familiar with it.

I think that a look into samba would be good. They have a lot of good features that I personaly have not explored and would like to.

> How about inetd?  Is everyone already comfortable configuring services
> through inetd?

We may want to look at xinetd if we look at inetd. It seems to me that more distros are useing that.

> I personally know nothing about snmp (simple network management protocol).
> I can't think of a better time to cover this topic.  Is anyone else
> interested?

I "know" some of the basics of how it is suppost to work but none of "how" to make it work. It has a lot of good features for remote monitering.