[OT] AmericanISP Policy change (WAS Re: [CLUE-Cert] next meeting)

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Mon Nov 18 18:05:22 MST 2002

On Monday, 18 November 2002 at 15:06:04 -0700, David Anselmi wrote:
> djperkins at americanisp.net wrote:
> [...]
>

> >My ISP's mail system went down this weekend and I couldn't read my email.
> >I could send but not receive.  There is no way to contact tech support
> >after hours to report a problem.
>
> Heh.  Mine too--and just after they annoyed the heck out of me by
> blocking servers (until I "upgraded").  It was the lack of notice that
> was most annoying.  Still, for DSL they seem to be the best deal going.

Yeah.  How 'bout that one...I spent an hour troubleshooting before I
figured out what was going on.  I've 'upgraded' my account, too.  I
mentioned to the tech, and followed up with an email regarding the lack
of notice.

> On Sat it seemed that I could get POP, but not SMTP (not a big deal to
> work around).  Then this morning while they were restoring the mail the
> system was too slow to use.  Sigh.

I didn't notice any problems with my service over the weekend.  They
shut down all the sever ports mid-afternoon on Thursday.  I called in
first thing Friday morning and had them 'upgrade' my account, so
everything here at arabie.org was back to normal as soon as I got home
and cycled my CISCO 678 on Friday afternoon.

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy