LFS bootable CD [was re: [CLUE-Cert] Next meeting]

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Sun Oct 27 11:58:46 MST 2002

Lynn Danielson wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
>
>>I've been working on a bootable CD. Hopefully, I will have it working
>>later tonight.  There are a few missing things in the hint.
>

> Very cool.  I've been reading the "Bootable LFS CD Using LILO" hint
> printout that you gave me and you're right there are a few things
> missing, but my biggest problem was that it requires starting with
> an lfs system to build the cd system from.  One of the things that
> bugged me in the linuxrc script was the pivot_root call.  I have no
> idea what this is.  According to the hint the only nonstandard thing
> in this script was the mount_cdrom call.  But there's no explanation
> of pivot_root.  Do you know what it is?  Anyway, if you can build an
> image, I'd be happy to make some copies with nice labels.
>
> Let me know,
>
> Lynn

I'm still trying to get a bootable CD.  I'm not sure what's causing some
of the problems but I recall similar problems with burning CD's for SCO
last year.  First, the hint is incomplete and the scripts have errors.
Another problem was that linuxrc could find echo and dd, but not mkdir.
  I finally abandoned using PATH and just said /bin/mkdir.

I still have troubles with mkdir, however.  I'm getting inode errors
when booting from the CD and I haven't found the cause of that yet.  It
might be the CDs.  In my experience, the quality of blank CDs is very
uneven, even from the same box.  Some can only be read by the same CD
burner and others cannot be read by DVD. drives.  I wish manufacturers
would be required to pass some reliability tests.

I might abandon the bootlfscd hint and try isolinux instead.  I would
rather figure this out, however, if I can.