LFS bootable CD [was re: [CLUE-Cert] Next meeting]

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Tue Oct 29 11:21:44 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 20:29, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> Lynn Danielson wrote:
> > Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> > > I'm still trying to get a bootable CD.  ...
>
> My sister said her employer has also had problems with blank CDs and
> DVDs.  After trying a number of venders, she said that they have the
> best luck with Maxell.  97% I think.

I think we've had our best luck with TDK media.  Problem is, even
within the same brand name, the source manufacturer can change.
I've seen a list of manufactures, their reliability and the
brandnames they're sold under.  If you're interested, I'll see if
I can find it for you.

> I think my CD writer is pretty good. It's a Plextor SCSI drive.

No argument there.

> > Maybe we could work on the bootable CD as a group.
>
> Even if I manage to solve all of the problems, this would be a good
> idea.  There are different strategies and it is a good way to learn
> about ramdisks, initrd, and loop devices.
>
> I'll put a message out to CLUE and see if anyone has some answers.

Good luck,

Lynn