[CLUE-Cert] building a distro

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Mon Oct 13 07:29:00 MDT 2003

We seem to have gotten stuck on package managers tho, specifically RPM.  Or did
someone manage to build a package?  Should we set package managers aside for a
bit and look at other issues?

1. Follow the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.  Agreed.
2. Be compliant with the Linux Standard Base.  After looking at the section on
bootscripts, that might be a minor issue.

3. Use sysv or BSD init methods?
4. inetd vs xinetd
5. syslog vs syslog-ng
6. lpr, lpr-ng, pdq, or CUPS?  I think there might be another one too.
7. cron
8. grub vs. lilo
9. bootable CDs

LFS has undergone a lot of restructuring in the last few months.  This has
resulted in major improvements, mainly because the toolchain is now built
cleanly.  There is still some debate whether the first stage of building the
toolchain should use static or dynamic libraries.

The LFS build process is now basically:

1. Build binutils, gcc and glibc into /stage1.
2. Modify gcc's spec file to use the new loader in /stage1.
3. Rebuild binutils, gcc and glibc in /stage1.
4. Build enough packages to be able to run LFS inside /stage1 using chroot.
5. Modify the spec file.
6. Rebuild binutils, gcc and glibc.
7. Rebuild the other packages.
8. Build remaining base packages.
9. Configure LFS.
10. Boot LFS.

11. Add whatever you want... X11, Gnome, etc.