[CLUE-Cert] new box

Dennis J Perkins dperkins at techangle.com
Mon Jul 5 14:20:03 MDT 2004

I finally started ordering parts for a new box.  I did choose the Hornet
case by Monarch Computing with an MSI motherboard for an Athlon 64 and 1
GB of memory and a Plextor DVD burner.

I haven't decided on a hard drive yet.  Hitachi has a nice 160 GB SATA
drive at 7200 RPM with avg access time of 8.5 msec for about $92 from
New Egg, but Western Digital has a 74 GB SATA with 10000 RPM and average
access time of 4.5 msec at $188.  I don't know if I want the capacity or
the performance more.

I haven't chosen a video card either.  I'm not a gamer, so the high end
cards don't interest me.  I have had excellent luck with Matrox in the
past, but it looks like the newer Matroxes are not supported in
XFree86.  Any suggestions?

I'm hoping I can bring the system to our next meeting.