[CLUE-Cert] new box

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Jul 5 15:58:34 MDT 2004

On 07-05 14:20, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> I finally started ordering parts for a new box.  I did choose the Hornet
> case by Monarch Computing with an MSI motherboard for an Athlon 64 and 1
> GB of memory and a Plextor DVD burner.
>
> I haven't decided on a hard drive yet.  Hitachi has a nice 160 GB SATA
> drive at 7200 RPM with avg access time of 8.5 msec for about $92 from
> New Egg, but Western Digital has a 74 GB SATA with 10000 RPM and average
> access time of 4.5 msec at $188.  I don't know if I want the capacity or
> the performance more.

Are there any heat or noise issues with the 10000 RPM? I think Doug
suggested something like getting one more for "storage" and one that would
have to be faster...of course, that involves buying two drives...

Speaking of heat/noise issues, what's the word on the Athlon 64 and heat?

> I haven't chosen a video card either.  I'm not a gamer, so the high end
> cards don't interest me.  I have had excellent luck with Matrox in the
> past, but it looks like the newer Matroxes are not supported in
> XFree86.  Any suggestions?
>
> I'm hoping I can bring the system to our next meeting.

Sweet! I look forward to that.

I was going to start buying stuff as well, but unexpected car repairs (when
are they ever expected?) set me back a bit...

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at techangle.net
First things first -- but not necessarily in that order
-The Doctor, "Doctor Who"