[clue-cert] List etiquette

Jeff Cann president at clue.denver.co.us
Tue Apr 26 22:25:10 MDT 2005

Greetings.

After about 6 years (or more), we [clue admins] got around to listing the
'traditional' list etiquette guidelines.  We're not slow to respond, we just
like to deliberate... :^P

New members will now receive these guidelines in their subscription welcome
messages.  But for those already subscribed, you can review the list
guidelines on the list home page of any list.    Here's some examples:

Here are the guidelines:

1. Be kind to your fellow list members. If you feel the need to be offensive,
please reply directly to the sender, not the list.

2. Please trim unnecessary information, including the poster's signatures and
portions not required to understand your reply, from replies to a list
message.

3. CLUE members do not wish to receive unsolicited commercial offers, so
please don't send them to any list.

4. CLUE has several lists, each with it's own preferred topic(s). Be sure you
read the list description before you post.

5. Many people prefer that when you reply to a post, you do not put your reply
'on top' of the original post - commonly referred to as 'top posting'. The
main reason to avoid top posting is that the list conversation is much easier
to follow - especially in the archives - if you quote what you are replying
to and then add your comments after the quote.

Any questions or comments may be directed to me or the clue-admin list.

Enjoy!
Jeff
--
Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/