[clue-cert] Course and training designing

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Feb 6 12:23:08 MST 2009

----- clue-cert-request at cluedenver.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:39:18 -0700
> From: Ward <wardndani at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [clue-cert] Course and training designing
>
> I think that this would be a great idea.  There are several of us
> Ubuntu
> users up in northern Colorado who have been discussing a study group
> idea.  I think that this would be a welcome class for some if not all
> of
> us.

The Ubuntu portion would be an addition to the LPIC-1 classes (two, LPI-101 and LPI-102) and geared towards the Ubuntu Certified Professional.  The latter requires the prior certification to be complete for reference, but if there are those who want to learn Ubuntu a bit more specific versus "Linux" (distribution neutral) I am open to thoughts there.

On the note of the N CO Ubuntu study folks, how many are interested in such?  In house classroom style or remote learning as well?

> Aside from the LPIC certification, which distro is more used out
> there
> in companies who are adopting Linux?  I know of one shop here in
> Colorado who uses SUSE exclusively in the back while my shop uses Red
> Hat and Fedora when we use Linux.  While I am a fan of Ubuntu and
> would
> like to see it more widely adopted who uses it?  I am not trying to
> be
> smart here....I am genuinely curious.

That is a discussion for CLUE-Talk I will confess.  What you have is the "commercial distributions" (e.g., RedHat, Novell/SuSE, and Ubuntu) that offer "commercial support".  Companies want to have some validation and quantification of things, hence they look for such.  The opposite angle is the "community distributions" (e.g., CentOS, OpenSuSE, and Ubuntu/Debian) which folks come around with "why pay for something that is free (as in 'free beer')" mentality.  Personally, I am comfortable going across both since Linux ETC does consulting and training as is most of our staff.  In the end...*gasps*...it is a management decision and being able to sell to management.

Side note, for reference, Ubuntu is one of the cross overs where you do not have to pay for it license wise.  You can pay for the support though via Canonical.

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court