[clue-cert] Re: Linux Certification Study Group (LPIC-1)]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 15 21:42:51 MST 2009

Sigh.  David was pretty clear that he's not on this list.  So he's not
going to tell you.

Dave Maddox wrote:
> I'll be interested to see what wonk-ass is, too[...]Having enough
> space to freely muck with partitioning (and be able to boot
> differently configured partitions), get useful things running in
> memory without noticeable degradation/swapping,
[...]
> Ward Dduncan a écrit :
>> David,
>>
>> Can you please elaborate a little more on what a "wonk-ass" box is?

To do what Dave mentions you don't need wonk-ass.  PIII 500 with 256MB
would do.

David likes to use virtual labs for teaching so he's probably thinking
of a machine that can run 2-4 VMs at a time.  I'd say a current
generation CPU (though CPU may be the least important), 4+GB of RAM and
50-100GB of disk space.

If you don't have that you can get by dual booting different
configurations.  All that takes is the disk space for the install.
Having a second box would be helpful then, if you can get more than one
box to Parsec.

I have a laptop with a T7200 2GHz and 1GB of RAM.  It's definitely not
wonk-ass.

Dave (not to be confused with Dave or David)