[clue-cert] Help with VMware/VirtualBox - Linux header kernel problems

Red Mop redmop924 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 22:45:41 MDT 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 09:46:00 pm Ward wrote:
> I am getting some strange errors with VMware that I need help with.  I just
> installed VMWare and I am unable to get it to run.  I am getting an error
> that the kernel header for version 2.6.24-23-generic were not found.  If
> you installed them in a non-default path you can specify the path below.
>
> I am getting a similar error when I try and run VirtualBox.  I am also
> getting errors that the Virtual box kernel is not compiling.  I am running
> Ubuntu 8.10 that was upgraded from 8.04.  Don't know if this helps.
>
> Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciate.
>
> Ward Duncan

You need to install this package:  linux-headers-2.6.24-23-generic.

Of note, you're still using the Hardy (8.04) kernel.  If you upgrade to
Intrepid's kernel (linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic), you'll need to use
linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic as your headers.  You really don't need to
upgrade, however.