[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft using Linux GPL code?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sat Dec 2 13:25:12 MST 2000

Hi all,

I just read Nicholas Petreley's article "Open-source: It's Windows' turn
to play catch-up to Linux" in my Nov 27th InfoWorld (page 68). I'll
quote two comments for you:

"people tell me recent versions of Windows are more stable than past
versions, and future version are looking even more promising. The bad
news is why. According to a source with access to internal Microsoft
developers, Microsoft had dedicated resources specifically to the task
of analyzing Linux source code and rewriting sections of it for use in
Windows.  According to my source, it is the adoption and translation of
Linux code that is helping Windows bcome more stable."

WOW oh WOW oh WOW!!!!!  If this is true, Linux has just pulled a coup!

Second quote:

"If Windows is improving because its developers depend on the excellence
of Linux source code, then one can only conclude that Widows (opps
mistyped that, Windows) will always be at least one step behind Linux in
terms of innovation and quality."

There you have it, I've talked about quality till I'm blue in the face
to PHBs and techies, this just proves my point about the importance and
necessity of high quality, not first to market.

Your thoughts?

Kevin