[CLUE-Talk] Microsoft using Linux GPL code?

Richard Knechtel krs3 at uswest.net
Sat Dec 2 14:29:51 MST 2000

Yeah I read this too, and mentioned it to my boss and the others in my
office. (They give me sh*t because I like linux).

My boss Just bought us a IBM Netfinity 5100 to replace our aging Novel
server.  he wants to upt NT on it but I told him we should install Linux on
it. We use it for File and Print serving. I told him we can use Samba to do
this and save the company a butt load of money.

I know IBM supports Linux on the netfinity's so it shouldn't be to
difficult to install linux on it.     The server would also hold our source
code (Visual Basic, C++, Clipper).

Any input would be helpful.  I am trying to make a good case to my boss.

Has anyone already set up a Linux server to do File and Print serving
(Using Samba)?  If so how difficult is it to do this?

We use Win98, WIn98Se, WinME on thye desktop and a couple Win2k machines
and an NT machine for Applicatin testing. We also use the NT machine to do
backups with.

Also, has anyone set up a dialup/dialin server with linux?  We have 5
machines that are used for clients to dialup to us to upload and download
stuff from us and they are useless IMHO!  The crash every night (all run
win98) (There are some network issues with this too but that is being
worked on).  Has anyone used multiport serial cards under Linux successfully?

I know lots of questions, but I am hoping to give enough info to my boss
that he might at least take a look at using Linux.

Thanks all!