Samba [Was Re: [CLUE-Talk] Microsoft using Linux GPL code?]

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Sun Dec 3 14:55:22 MST 2000

Richard Knechtel wrote:

> My boss Just bought us a IBM Netfinity 5100 to replace our aging Novel
> server.  he wants to upt NT on it but I told him we should install Linux on
> it. We use it for File and Print serving. I told him we can use Samba to do
> this and save the company a butt load of money.
>
> I know IBM supports Linux on the netfinity's so it shouldn't be to
> difficult to install linux on it.     The server would also hold our source
> code (Visual Basic, C++, Clipper).
>
> Any input would be helpful.  I am trying to make a good case to my boss.
>
> Has anyone already set up a Linux server to do File and Print serving
> (Using Samba)?  If so how difficult is it to do this?

It's not difficult to get a basic server up and running.
Samba does have a lot of capabilities and it can get
complicated, but the default parameters usually work
pretty well.  If the network you are serving is large
you might want to consider putting file and print
services on different machines.

I believe Ed Young's company uses Source Safe or
something like that for source control and keeps the
source files on a samba server.  I seem to recall that
they had some problem with this initially, but I can't
recall any specifics.

> We use Win98, WIn98Se, WinME on thye desktop and a
> couple Win2k machines and an NT machine for Applicatin
> testing. We also use the NT machine to do backups with.

There can be some difficulties using Win2K machines.
You'll want to use a current version of Samba, 2.0.7
fixed some issues.  I think domain control with Win2K
machines is still broken.  As long as you're using an
NT machine for a PDC it shouldn't be an issue.

Lynn