[CLUE-Talk] Re: Samba

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Dec 3 15:48:57 MST 2000

On Sunday 03 December 2000 14:55, Lynn Danielson wrote:

> Richard Knechtel wrote:
> > Has anyone already set up a Linux server to do File and Print serving
> > (Using Samba)?  If so how difficult is it to do this?

At Standard and Poor's we use Samba all over the place to connect to Solaris
servers, from NT and Win 9x.  It has worked great.  I did not set things up
(we have a department of System Administrators), but the samba daemons have
been rock solid for almost 2 years.

I have suggested on several occasions that we migrate to Linux from Solaris.
We have constant problems with our Solaris hardware.  Unfortunately, S&P is
an enormous company (~8000 employees) and we are mired in political red-tape,
so using Linux "in production" has been a big problem.  No one here has the
authority (or balls) to call the shot to install Linux.  Until then, we'll
just keep on lining Scott McNealy's pockets.

Later.
Jeff

--
jccann [at] home [dot] com