[CLUE-Talk] Software quality

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Dec 10 10:04:53 MST 2000

On Saturday 09 December 2000 20:30, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> If you want to keep your job, I just talked with a recruiter yesterday
> and she stated taht the two IT shops closed up because of poor
> practices.  If software developers AND managers don't get the hint,
> we'll all lose our jobs down the road to India. It won't happen
> tomorrow, but the next day turns into next year.  While I'm not trying
> to scream like chicken little, I am trying to let you all know what's
> coming down the pipeline. Ignoring it like Luddites won't help you in
> the long run.

Kevin,

People have been arguing this for 25 years.  Read the 'Mythical Man Month' by
Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.  ISBN 0-201-00650-2.

My point:  So called scare tactics like 'if you want to keep your job' fall
on deaf ears.  I have not seen evidence that 'programmers from India' are any
more qualified or concerned about quality than domestic programmers.  Despite
the SEI certification, I would argue that if a shop is farming out
development to save money likely does not care too much about quality (just
my opinion).

If you want to convince people that quality is important, you should start
with cogent arguments that show how much less it costs to produce software if
you build in quality checks while the system is built.

The Business Week article draws parallels based on other industries, such
as hardware manufacturing and automobile industries.  The fact is that
building something tangible (hardware, autos) versus something intangible
(sofware) is not comparable.

I am interested in the CMM, however.  Unfortunately, this is just another in
a long line of 'new ideas' that are never adopted.  Some previous ideas:
'Structured Programming', 'Object-Oriented Programming', and TQA.

My experience is that the accounting of software production is not at all
accurate.  If software development were more like a factory, then management
would not be so reluctant to collect statistics that prove software quality
costs less the sooner it is implemented in a project.

All software managers seem to think about is the product release date.  They
have some irrational fear that if the date slips, so will sales.  If sales
slip, then the company is in trouble.  It is extremely hard to convince these
pin heads that the company will make a lot more money if we would test
sooner.  When someone concerned with quality breaks into management ranks,
their ideas never seem to get implemented.

The US software market continues to accept (and pay for) lousy products.
Even Ralph Nader commented on this issue  If people think the software
they buy from Oracle or Microsoft (or Red Hat) stinks, then why on earth do
they keep buying it?  This only feeds the cycle of non-quality assurance.  If
consumers would say, 'I am not paying for Oracle 8i because many features I
need are broken', then maybe Ellison and his gang of idiots would get a clue.

Like you, I want better quality in software.  I am sick of bugs that prevent
me from getting my job completed.  Maybe Indian programmers will shock the US
software companies into greater action.  Maybe will all be out of work soon.
Like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  OTH - If we are
out of jobs soon, then we can write more GNU software!

Later,
Jeff

--
jccann [at] home [dot] com