[CLUE-Talk] Printing Man Pages

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at kaivo.com
Fri Dec 15 09:36:36 MST 2000

> There HAS to be some way to tell man how many lines my printer can fit on a
> single page,  so that "page 15"  is actually printed at the bottom of the
> 15th page.   I have looked at the man pages for Man,  Nroff, troff, groff,
> and everything else I can think of,  and the closest that I got was the
> MANWIDTH environmental variable.    Am I missing something easy?

I think you want MANPL instead of MANWIDTH.  Here are a couple experiments to
try on the ls manpage:

man ls | col -b | mpage | lpr
(export MANPL=60; man ls) | col -b | mpage | lpr
(export MANPL=66; man ls) | col -b | mpage | lpr

Play with the lines until it pages correctly.  After you get
the paging correct, you can then manipulate mpage to print
more or fewer pages per sheet of paper.

-TAG
--
Todd A. Gibson