[CLUE-Talk] Red Hat NOT going out of business...

Grant Johnson Grant.Johnson at MetroIS.com
Fri Dec 15 13:39:13 MST 2000

Red Hat is doing better than expected due to expanding demand.

BTW, MS is doing worse than expected due to soft demand for Win 2K and
Office 2K.  If they had used accepted and legal accounting methods last
year, they would have posted a $2Bil loss rather than a $7Bil
profit.  Their not acounting for stock options as an expense when used to
compensate employees is illegal, as well as their "cookie jar" accounting
practices.  Let's not let anyone in the Linux sector try this stuff.  If
they do, make sure that we call them on it.  We need continued realism to
make the long haul.  Financial troubles at the competition, and results
better than expected at the Linux firms can only be the beginning of the
end for the concept of closed API's.  There are times when closed source
may make commercial sense, but closed API's and intentionally not working
with competitor's software can never be good in the longer term.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/12/15/001215hnredloss.xml