[CLUE-Talk] StarOffice 6.0

matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Fri Dec 22 10:33:01 MST 2000

According to http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/main_faq_new_p3.html#16 the answer is yes on the break apart part.

There's a "Main" FAQ on StarOffice/OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/main_faq_new.html.

That FAQ and 2 others are linked to at http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html and the main OpenOffice page is at http://www.openoffice.org/, of course.  And the StarOffice site which links to OpenOffice is at http://www.sun.com/developers/openoffice.

And like I said in an earlier post, at http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/main_faq_new_p7.html#53 they say that Mac OS X binaries will be available "in late March, 2001".

BUT THEY DON'T EVEN HINT AT WHEN X86 BINARIES WILL BE AVAILABLE!!!

You can download the source, of course, but then at http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/source_overview.html they say that "Not available are certain 3rd party source code (for example: printing, spell checking); we will explain this situation further in the week following the launch, please bear with us. The source code is pre Alpha code and is undergoing extensive development and change.... You are free to experiment with this code, but we would advise you to go into it with no expectations! We certainly do! "

Plus, at http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/build_faq.html they say that "a full build of OpenOffice is approximately 20 hours on a single CPU Pentium III with 256MB of RAM running Linux."

So I think I'll wait for the binaries to become available (whenever that may be).

-Matt