[CLUE-Talk] KDE and screen settings

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Sat Dec 23 13:10:17 MST 2000

On Friday 22 December 2000 17:29, Steve Hulse wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> 	Well I finally got around to setting up my dual boot system and installed
> Linux to it's own hard drive after battleing with RH6.1 and Corel I went
> with Mandrake. I don't know why but it just seems to agree with me.

Mandrake is perhaps the most friendly install.  The 7.2 release is
especially pleasant to install.

> Anyway
> during setup I went to set the screen options, (Sorry, I can't think of the
> official terminology), at 800x640 but it's just too huge! I know there is a
> way to adjust it to be at 1024 from within KDE but I can't remember how.

As root, click on the DrakConf icon and then on "change screen resolution".
Another way (again as root) is to type the command `drakxconf` into a
terminal window.  If you don't want to set it within KDE (and at 640x480
that might be tough), don't start KDE but type drakxconf from the
command line and set it up the way you want.

> Also how can you adjust this in Gnome? I'm to good with it yet and just
> still learning it. Oh one other question, is it possible to connect my
> Linux box up to my home network with the server being a Win98 machine.
> Basically I want to try sharing internet access. Any advice on this would
> be great.

If you want to share files, Samba is about the easiest.  If you want to
share Internet access, then I'm sure it's easy enough -- search for
IP Masquerading, or you can use a commercial product to act as a
gateway/firewall.  I use NetMax Firewall Suite (from MicroCenter).

Have fun!

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School, Colorado