[CLUE-Talk] CLUE: SuSE 7.0 Anyone

Richard Knechtel krs3 at uswest.net
Tue Nov 14 07:52:50 MST 2000

Has anyone upgraded to SuSE 7.0 by any chance?
I had lots of problems with the upgrade from 6.4.  I have sent a couple
emails to SuSE tech support with no replies yet - except their standard
auto-reply's.

I upgraded with SuSE Professional 7.0. (Yeah I know $69 is alot of
money...)

Any help anyone can give would be greatly apprieciated.

Issues:
1)After the upgrade whenever I reboot or boot the system I keep
getting the yast script saying that it needs to run some scripts and
if they should not be interupted and then allows me to log in. When I
reboot/boot the system every time this happens.

2) When I try to go into Xwindows by using "startx" as usual I get
this error message "/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: xinit: command not found" I
tried to locate "xinit" myself and could not find it.

3)Durring Shutdown I am now getting the following error message
durring shutdown "/usr/sbin/httpd no such file or directory".

I tried re-running the install/upgrade twice and these errors keep
happening.

I had the upgrade install the pentium optimized kernal - I will
re-build my custome kernal later.

I did back up my /etc,  /root,  /home directories prior to running the
upgrade.

My system:
SuperMicro P6DBU Motherboard (Dual CPU motherboard)
1 x Intel Pentium PIII 500MHZ CPU
256 Meg crucial buffered ECC memory (1 x 256 meg dimm)
Matrox G400 Dual Head 32 meg  AGP video card
Princton graphics system Ultra17 17 inch monitor
Promise ultra ATA/66 IDE PCI controller card (to add 4 more IDE devices
to system)
Acer 40X IDE Cd-Rom drive
Plextor 12/10/32 IDE CDR-W
Matsumi 4/8 SCSI CD-R
Archive Python 2 Gig 4mm DAT SCSI tape drive
1 x Western Digital 20 gig ultra ATA/66 IDE drive (Windows)
1 x Maxtor 27 Gig ultra ATA/66 IDE drive (Linux)
1 x Quantum Fireball 6.4 gig IDe drive (Windows)
Intel Pro 10/100+ PCI ethernet card
Linksys Ether16 ISA ethernet card
Cisco 675 router/modem (DSL)
SohoWare 5 port hub.
US Robotics V. Everything 33.6 modem.
Umax 2200p - Scanner - parallel port (Windows)
Hewlett Packard Deskjet 722c printer - parallel port (Windows/Linux)
Iomega ZipDrive - Parallel port

Thanks,

--
 Richard Knechtel
 email: krs3 at uswest.net
 Web URL: http://www.users.uswest.net/~krs3
 (Aspiring AS/400 GURU)(Aspiring Linux GURU)