[CLUE-Talk] CLUE: SuSE 7.0 Anyone

Richard Knechtel krs3 at uswest.net
Tue Nov 14 13:53:45 MST 2000

You won't believe th reply I got from SuSE tech support. Basically oops!
oh well - run a fresh scratch install.

Sounds like a Microsoft reply to me...

I guess as the Linux distro companies go public, they will be more MS
like...

Now I'll have to spend hours/days figuring it out and fixing it myself I
guess.

- But, they are covered they do state - as do all distros - that they
give no warrenty.......

------copy of reply-------

Hard to tell what went wrong, but whatever it was, it does sound like
a mess. Just as well you made a back up of your data.

I can assure you, this is not the normal behaviour of the upgrade
procedure.

I don't see any other way but to make a clean install and then to play
back the back up (be careful with /etc - don't just copy it over the
new
/etc).

Best regards

        Your SuSE Support-Team
        Hartmut Meyer (isupport at suse.de)
SuSE GmbH,             Tel:   +49-421-5262300 Mo-Fr 13-18.00
Schanzaeckerstr. 10,   Fax:   +49-421-5262350
90443 Nuernberg,       Email: isupport at suse.de
Germany                WWW:   http://support.suse.de/