[CLUE-Talk] Sendmail Rumors...

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Wed Nov 15 19:14:29 MST 2000

> This article seeds the rumor that sendmail will no longer be an open
> source project. The last time I checked I thought that the GPL didn't let
> authors rescind their software

This is true for software released under the GPL or LGPL.  Sendmail is not
released under the GPL version.  I checked the GNU software map
http://www.gnu.org/gnulist/production/listing.html and did not find sendmail.

I checked sendmail.org and could not easily find information about their
license.  So, I downloaded the sendmail 8.11.1.  The sendmail LICENSE is
attached.  The short answer is that it is NOT GPL.

This is why Open Source licensing / branding is a Bad Idea (IMHO) compared to
GPL.  GPL protects things like this from happening via the Copyleft concept.
 Read more about it at :  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Based on the sendmail example, you can see why RMS does not support Open
Source.  You can see how your rights as a user / contributor of sendmail may
be shrugged off at the whims of the bankers backing sendmail inc.

This is a great example that illustrates the cavernous differences between
GPL and "Open Source":

	GPL -> Rights are protected, source is required.
	Open Source -> Rights may be proteced, source may be required.

Later.
Jeff

--
jccann [at] home [dot] com