[CLUE-Talk] Review of Netcape 6 for Linux

John Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Thu Nov 30 15:40:15 MST 2000

Match Grun wrote:

> John,
>
> Just remember that both Netscape 6 and Mozilla M18 are both beta.

Thanx for the information, but I don't remember seeing anything, anywhere that Netscape 6.0
is still beta.

If it is, then this should have been announced somewhere, but everything I've seen says that
this is the final release. If it is still beta, then I could see leaving the debugging code
in; if not, then it should have been recompiled without it because the slow speed is
certainly getting a LOT of bad press for Netscape that it cannot afford if it ever has any
hope of regaining credibility in the browser marker.

Unless, of course, Netscape has adapted Microsoft's practice of releasing products as final
that should have been released as beta (or even alpha, in the case of their latest Office
2000 SP2).

I've seen good things about Mozilla, and I think that it may end up as what Netscape should
have been all along. When it comes out in final, I'll try it. In the meanwhile, I'll stick
with the 4.7 series Netscape: 6.0 just does not impress me.

JohnK