[CLUE-Talk] Review of Netcape 6 for Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at hypermall.net
Thu Nov 30 19:44:12 MST 2000

> John,
>
> Just remember that both Netscape 6 and Mozilla M18 are both beta.

[snip]

> Mozilla M18/Netscape 6:
> ------------------
> No support for HTTPS. Visit http://www.1stbank.com, click on Login
> icon.

I think Mozilla has https support.  At least, I can long into my account on
www.bellco.org.  It just does not come this https by default, from a faq that
came with the deb for Mozilla 18 that I downloaded for my Debian system:

|1> Why don't you have crypto support?
|
|  The build process for NSS and PSM at the time of M18's release was
|   very painful and all but impossible to automate. I'm also having problems
|   convincing the ftp-masters that crypto can go in main.
|
|   You can still install the iPlanet PSM manually as root, and use the
|   wrapper library, and script in /usr/share/doc/mozilla/psm-helper
|
|   The iPlanet PSM for x86 can be downloaded from
|   http://docs.iplanet.com/docs/manuals/psm/psm-mozilla/psm_1.3_linux.xpi
|   NOTE: You cannot use this URL to install it, you need to download it
|   manually.

Could be usefull if you want to use M18 as your (almost ready for prime time)
primary browser.

There are issues around using it if you are not root (user must have write
access to the dir where the psm module sits, a known bug).  The deb package
also came with a way around this, with a little bit of tom-foolery (which did
not involve changing the /usr/lib/mozilla dir to world writable).  Check out
the doc dir of a debian package if you are interested.  Not sure if the fix
works for other systems, but it would seem like it should.

HTH
== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==