[CLUE-Talk] Re: CLUE-Talk: RFI Debian vs. Slackware

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Sat Oct 7 20:21:58 MDT 2000

Hola.

As the resident Slackware advocate in our group, I can only say one thing:

'Use Slackware!'  :-)

As I have written before, there comes a time (after much experience) when
you begin to understand Linux, what you want from it and, more importantly,

what you don't want from it.  This is why I like Slack.  It gives me what I

want, no more, no less.  It's easy to add things later on.  Once I install
and configure my system,  it works.

The beauty of Slackware is that it is never, ever released before it is
*production* stable.  Some vendors, notably Red Hat, have an 'early
release' philosophy.  This philosophy appeals to many folks.  Especially
the 'I have to have the latest and greatest versions of everything'. But
I am in the *don't break it* mindset.  See, I use Linux to get programs
built.  People pay me for these programs and they always want them as soon
as possible.  (Really, they wanted it yesterday!)  They don't care if I
can't get my network card running or if my cdrom is not recognized.  These
are my problems and they are minimized greatly by using Slackware.

I have also used Red Hat and SuSE, but not Debian.  My understanding of
Debian is they also advocate the philosophy of stability in a distribution.

Finally, I have been using Slackware since 1995 (kernel version 1.0.12).
Every time I have had the urge to switch to the latest, coolest distro, I
install it and am rarely impressed enough to disband my Slackware
workstation.

Good luck in choosing another distribution.  Why not report back to the
group with your impressions of any distributions that you try out.

Jeff