[CLUE-Talk] Re: CLUE-Talk: RFI Debian vs. Slackware

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Sun Oct 8 15:33:32 MDT 2000

Jeffery Cann wrote:

> This is why I like Slack.  It gives me what I want, no more, no less.
> It's easy to add things later on.

One thing I don't like about Slackware is it's BSD style rc.d scripts.
They're simpler if you're comfortable editing shell scripts to change
what gets started at boot up and what doesn't.  But this isn't something
that's easily automated by an installation package.  Slackware doesn't
really have a package manager, so you will typically be manually
installing everything you want anyway.  I prefer distributions that
use SysV style rc scripts, such as Debian, even when installing packages
from tar balls.

> Good luck in choosing another distribution.  Why not report back to the
> group with your impressions of any distributions that you try out.

I'll second that.

Lynn