[CLUE-Talk] Mandrake 8.0

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Mon Apr 23 16:47:32 MDT 2001

Since you mentioned it, I plan to install LFS next and build a firewall with it.  Here's why:

Last year we had a server with SuSE 6.3 on it.  Needed to upgrade Samba.  Oops, the version we need it only available as a source tar.  Got the tar, ./configure, make, make install.  Doesn't work.  Eventually found
and removed the SuSE version that was installed differently than make install did.

When using other distros, I always feel unsettled that I don't really know what's there and what isn't.  So I'm going to try to roll my own and keep track of what I use.  Should be fun.

I've heard that LFS can be pretty difficult.  But I've yet to run into something I couldn't compile and run on Linux - kernels, XFree, others.  In fact, the only way I've ever had a successful X config was building
XFree from scratch and using their config tool (sorry, can't keep them straight so I don't remember which it was).

Not knocking distros, just don't think I need one.  Probably feel different if I used one daily and was comfortable with how it worked.

Dave