[CLUE-Talk] Truth stranger than fiction

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Mon Apr 30 14:25:15 MDT 2001

Jeff,

I've been thinking about the price/performance ratios of big Sun boxes compared to
little Intel boxes.  1) below is obviously false, 2) is (or should be) irrelevant,
but 3) I don't know about.  I think a good Solaris SA would have no trouble
running a Linux box (what's the most Solaris like distro?), but I would defer to a
SA as to how much trouble it would be.

However, doesn't Solaris run on Intel?  Couldn't you do your clustering with
Solaris as well as Linux?  We share a big Sun box for development at work, but I
would guess that for half the price, one Intel server per developer would give us
better performance.

Does anyone know how to compare an E450 (say) to a group of PCs?  I'd be
interested to do a comparison here.

Dave