[CLUE-Talk] What's Gnome got?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Dec 9 10:23:00 MST 2001

I doubt that Gnome is more popular.  Redhat chose Gnome as the default
because until about a year ago KDE relied heavily on a toolkit (QT)
that was not completely free (QT is developed by a company, Trolltech).
QT is now released under the QPL *and* the GPL, so it is Free Software.
Thus, Redhat believes in Free Software, and chose Gnome.  KDE *is* an
older project, thus in some ways more mature.  I would also guess that
it is more popular, actually, especially in Europe.

I am happy to have a choice, but if you are new to Linux, I would
suggest giving KDE a try.  It can be very helpful to the new user (lots
GUI tools to do stuff).  However, I don't know how well KDE is
integrated into the Redhat desktop.  If you want to see a really slick,
user friendly KDE desktop, take a peak at Mandrake, a Redhat derivative.

HTH,

Tim