[CLUE-Talk] What's Gnome got?

Matt Gushee mgushee at hypermall.net
Sun Dec 9 18:19:54 MST 2001

In my experience, KDE has always seemed to use way too many video
resources, such that simple operations like dragging/resizing windows
was sluggish and jerky. I also vaguely remember a lot of other
video-related glitches. I haven't had problems like this with GNOME --
he said, damning with faint praise.

Another thing that was supposed to be cool about GNOME back in the
early days was that it was supposed to more accessible for application
developers. It was, if I remember right, programmed in C as opposed to
C++ for KDE, and it had a CORBA ORB integrated into its core. Of
course, who the hell understands CORBA?

But of course YMMV: I'm not very up-to-date with either desktop. I go
through periods of using one or the other, then notice that I'm not
using most of the features that are using my system's resources, and

D C writes:

 > " Unlike KDE, which includes a built-in window manager, GNOME is window
 > manager independent. It provides a programming interface that allows window
 > manager developer to integrate full support for GNOME in the window
 > manager."

IIRC this statement isn't entirely accurate. Yes, KDE comes with a
window manager, but you can use others with some effort. GNOME also
nominally has a "standard" window manager -- sawfish. So it's really
more a difference of degree, I think.

Matt Gushee
Englewood