[CLUE-Talk] file-splitting

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Wed Dec 26 15:57:10 MST 2001

Under Linux we use the mtx utility to talk to the library portion of the
tape drive.  It does a nice job of moving the tapes around and is very
scriptable.

On Wed, 2001-12-26 at 15:46, Jim Ockers wrote:

    Ed,

    > This sounds *very* much like a Win2K problem.  I've used GNU tar on both
    > Solaris and Linux boxen to fill and rotate tapes on DDS jukeboxes (12Gig
    > native DDS-3 tapes with 6 tapes/cartridge so 72Gig total) and had *NO*
    > problems with GNU tar.

    How do you talk to the autoloader to get it to switch tapes after the
    first one is full?  I've been wondering this for a while now.  I have
    a DLT library which you may be able to help me with, if you have used
    tar for DDS jukeboxes.  My tape hardware is:

    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: Powerstor L200   Rev: 001E
      Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
      Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT7000          Rev: 2150
      Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    As you can see the tape autoloader is a Quantum Powerstor L200.  It
    eats 35/70GB DLT tapes, as does the drive.  The Powerstor holds 8
    tapes.

    How can I run a tar backup and still (using a software command) get
    another tape into the drive using the robotics?  I can use the
    'eject' command to eject the tape and the 'mt' command to view the
    status of the tape, etc.  I have no idea how to tell the robotics
    to change tapes when the first one fills up.

    Thanks for any help.  BTW We are on a 2.2 kernel right now but are
    moving to a 2.4 kernel in a few months.

    --
    Jim Ockers (ockers at ockers.net)
    Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/

    Fight Spam! Join CAUCE (Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email)
    at http://www.cauce.org/ .