[CLUE-Talk] database app

Ed Meyer edmeyer at smartsbroadcast.com
Fri Jan 5 12:39:49 MST 2001

I've been working with Interbase lately and it doesn't have all of the front
end features Access has - it does have a few in the Interbase Console - but
since it is available for Windows and Linux I can access it from either of
my machines but the server itself runs on the linux server.  It also seems
to be a LOT faster than the old access database they were using.  They have
an ODBC driver available for Windows so you could use your Access front end
with the Interbase server but it costs $100.  Available from
www.chilisoft.com I think.  We've decided to build our own web based front
end using PHP pages.  They have native interbase support built in with PHP4.

The other one I checked into was the Adabas database for Star Office.  It
seemed to have many of the things Access had but since we needed an actual
server (so I can get access to it from the web server as well as the
in-house server) we chose Interbase.

Sorry for the long answer.  Hope it helps...

Ed Meyer
Project Manager
Smarts Broadcast Systems