[CLUE-Talk] This close to moving to Slackware, Jeff

Lynn Danielson Lynn.Danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Jan 17 14:05:03 MST 2001

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> I was talking with a gentleman yesterday and he told me about
> Slackware.  I'm about this close, |  |, to move to it and dump SuSe.
> Any comments?

FOOL!  SuSE RULES!

Just kidding.  While I no longer break out in cold sweats when I
think about my past experience with Slackware I'm still not a big fan
of it either.  The last time I looked at it, it seemed much the same.
It does have virtues, stability, and a butt load of stock boot images
(I'll let Jeff extol the rest), but handholding is not one of them.

To upgrade to a new version I think you still pretty much have to
start from scratch.  You have to carry over any data and configuration
files from your previous version.  Maybe this has changed with recent
versions.

Slackware also doesn't use an administration tool like SuSE's.  Yast
with a minimal amount of information will tweak all of your necessary
configuration files.  If you, like Jeff, believe that automated
configuration tools are for the weak and timid ;-) and that real Linux
users should learn which configuration files they need to edit, by all
means use Slackware.  It will force you to learn.  You could install
webmin or linuxconf.

I also dislike it's BSD style runlevel scripts.

Lately I've been a little annoyed by SuSE's marketing/packaging/
pricing changes, they still bundle more software together for the
money than any other distribution.  This is great for those of us
who still suffer with low bandwith net connections.  I've also been
impressed with the binary packages I've under SuSE which work as
advertised.

Just my two cents.

If I may ask, in what ways have you been dissapointed with SuSE
that you're considering Slackware?  If you become a convert, keep
us posted.

Lynn Danielson