[CLUE-Talk] This close to moving to Slackware, Jeff

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Jan 17 15:01:20 MST 2001

Lynn Danielson wrote:

> Kevin Cullis wrote:
> >
> > I was talking with a gentleman yesterday and he told me about
> > Slackware.  I'm about this close, |  |, to move to it and dump SuSe.
> > Any comments?
>
> FOOL!  SuSE RULES!

:-D

> Just kidding.  While I no longer break out in cold sweats when I
> think about my past experience with Slackware I'm still not a big fan
> of it either.  The last time I looked at it, it seemed much the same.
> It does have virtues, stability, and a butt load of stock boot images
> (I'll let Jeff extol the rest), but handholding is not one of them.

Yea, I know, but I gotta get more into my system ;-), I'm getting the
hankering for more POWER!! Bwahahahah!!!

> To upgrade to a new version I think you still pretty much have to
> start from scratch.  You have to carry over any data and configuration
> files from your previous version.  Maybe this has changed with recent
> versions.

Jeff, any comments?

> Slackware also doesn't use an administration tool like SuSE's.  Yast
> with a minimal amount of information will tweak all of your necessary
> configuration files.  If you, like Jeff, believe that automated
> configuration tools are for the weak and timid ;-) and that real Linux
> users should learn which configuration files they need to edit, by all
> means use Slackware.  It will force you to learn.  You could install
> webmin or linuxconf.
>
> I also dislike it's BSD style runlevel scripts.

Why?

> If I may ask, in what ways have you been dissapointed with SuSE
> that you're considering Slackware?  If you become a convert, keep
> us posted.

While I'm not truly disappointed with SuSe, I was just looking at a
trimmed down, svelt Linux version compared with everything which has
been loaded on my current machine, i.e. I wish I knew what each package
was and whether I need to for an average workstation, that'll take me
some time.

I'm justing getting input for now.

Kevin