[CLUE-Talk] CLIQ volunteer

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jan 24 09:17:57 MST 2001

Thus spoke Batalden, Eric
> there are a couple of different volunteer groups.  Jef heads up the official
> CLIQ volunteers, they will do things like security and "gofer" stuff.  there
> are also two other volunteer groups, one for the LUG and one for
> registration.  the last two are from memory and i don't have contact
> information.  i am not sure on the LUG's "official" relationship with CLIQ.
> i hope this helps.

Jef handles all volunteers initially.  He'll assign a few to registration
(handled by Lynn Danielson for CLIQ) and the rest to various other duties
throughout the two days of the event (the 29th is mostly just registration
at this point, but more may be added later).  Volunteers work for CLIQ, but the
LUG can also have its own presence in a booth within the exhibit hall.
Whoever does booth duty is not considered a "CLIQ volunteer".  They are LUG
representatives instead.  The main difference is that volunteers do what the
CLIQ says and LUG reps do whatever they have planned for the booth - CLIQ
doesn't tell LUG reps what to do.

Other differences:
1. Volunteers get a CLIQ T-Shirt.  LUG reps do not.
2. Volunteers can attend talks or visit the exhibit hall only before or after
   their shifts. Shifts may last up to a half day and may start as early as
   6:30AM.  LUG reps only need to guarantee that at least one rep is in the
   booth at all times.
3. Volunteers get a meal, either breakfast or lunch depending on their
   shift, on Friday.   LUG reps do not (they have to fend for themselves).

Note that we have lots of space (though it's not unlimited ) for
volunteers, but only 4 reps from each LUG will be taken.  Both volunteers
and LUG reps get full access to the conference and exhibit.

LUG reps should note that all area LUGs (which so far includes CLUE, BLUG,
NCLUG, GLUG and possibly PPLUG) will share the space of 3 booths.  If
everyone shows up, it may be crowded.  LUG reps, probably led by either
BLUG and/or NCLUG, will help with raffling off autographed T-Shirts (I
think) and possibly some books and/or other goodies donated to CLIQ by
vendors. I believe Wayde Allen from BLUG has agreed to help organize the
raffles - Jef Barnhart will follow up on that to make sure there is someone
in charge there and be the CLIQ contact for LUG reps in general.
--
Michael J. Hammel
Chairman
mjhammel at thecliq.org