[CLUE-Talk] Question about FIPS

Grant Johnson Grant.Johnson at MetroIS.com
Wed Jan 24 12:40:13 MST 2001

>There is a newer version of Lilo (21.6.1) that supposedly can boot beyond the
>1024 cylinder limit by using LBA mode, but I was not able to get this to
>work.  Each time I tried booting with that version of lilo, nothing would
>get booted (except for the Linux boot floppy I made during Linux
>installation.)
>I only tried installing Lilo into the boot partition, and not the MBR, so
>that may have worked.  Instead, I took the safer route of making a /boot
>partition below 1024.
Unless you put LILO in the MBR, you will need a floppy, or a 3rd party boot
manager to get it to boot.

The only real reason for putting LILO in the /boot partition is that it
plays better with things like Boot Magic.  This is important because NT
does not play well with LILO in the MBR.