[CLUE-Talk] Question about FIPS

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Wed Jan 24 15:12:52 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:40:13PM -0700, Grant Johnson wrote:

> >There is a newer version of Lilo (21.6.1) that supposedly can boot beyond the
> >1024 cylinder limit by using LBA mode, but I was not able to get this to
> >work.  Each time I tried booting with that version of lilo, nothing would
> >get booted (except for the Linux boot floppy I made during Linux
> >installation.)
> >I only tried installing Lilo into the boot partition, and not the MBR, so
> >that may have worked.  Instead, I took the safer route of making a /boot
> >partition below 1024.
> Unless you put LILO in the MBR, you will need a floppy, or a 3rd party boot
> manager to get it to boot.
>
> The only real reason for putting LILO in the /boot partition is that it
> plays better with things like Boot Magic.  This is important because NT
> does not play well with LILO in the MBR.

I was about to try installing Lilo 21.6.1 into the MBR, but then thought that
I really didn't need more than 7.5 gb for Windows C: anyway.  I typically
like to divide my disk up anyway (45gb in this case), and have another 10 gb
chunk formatted FAT32 for Windows or Linux (via UMSDOS) in an extended
partition.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net