[CLUE-Talk] Question about FIPS

Grant Johnson Grant.Johnson at MetroIS.com
Wed Jan 24 15:35:04 MST 2001

Huh?????????

>I was about to try installing Lilo 21.6.1 into the MBR, but then thought that
>I really didn't need more than 7.5 gb for Windows C: anyway.  I typically
>like to divide my disk up anyway (45gb in this case), and have another 10 gb
>chunk formatted FAT32 for Windows or Linux (via UMSDOS) in an extended
>partition.
Where you install LILO has nothing to do with how big your partitions are
or which ones are  for which OS.  In your /etc/lilo.conf, it tells it where
to put LILO.  You get that set up, then run /sbin/lilo, and it puts it
where you told it to.  LILO is a loader.  I put mine in the MBR, then it
load Linux, or boots Windows, whatever I tell it to do.  Here is my
lilo.conf, and I will give a little running commentary.

boot=/dev/hda
# This is where LILO installs, since I didn't give a partition, just a
drive, it
# goes to the MBR.
#compact       # faster, but won't work on all systems.
vga = normal    # force sane state
read-only
# Initially mount as read-only
prompt
# Prompt me for what to do.  This is good so I can switch run levels.
timeout=100
# How long to wait before moving on.
# End LILO global Section
#
image = /boot/vmlinuz  # Where my kernel is
   root = /dev/hda3        # Where my / is
   label = linux               # What to call this

The Windows one will look different (just the last part will have another
section for Windows) but the same concepts apply.