[CLUE-Talk] Multi-boot LILO example

Grant Johnson Grant.Johnson at MetroIS.com
Wed Jan 24 16:05:10 MST 2001

# LILO configuration file
# Start LILO global Section
# If you want to prevent console users to boot with init=/bin/bash,
#  restrict usage of boot params by setting a passwd and using the option
#  restricted.
#password=bootpwd  # I didn't want a boot password
#restricted  # No clue, check the man page
boot=/dev/hda
#compact       # faster, but won't work on all systems.
vga = normal    # force sane state
#default=dos
# Sometimes I want the default to be Windows, like when I insall a patch to
# Office, and have to reboot 12 times.  I hate it when it downloads half the
# night, reboots itself, and then I have to reboot into DOS mode to get it to
# download the other half of the patch
default=linux  # The normal state of things.  These point to the "label"s
below.
read-only
prompt
timeout=100
# End LILO global Section
#
image = /boot/vmlinuz  # This is my main one
   root = /dev/hda6
   label = linux             # Notice that this label matches default=

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4 #  I was trying to get the 2.4 kernel to work
   root = /dev/hda6             # The root is the same.
   label = linux-2.4              # The label is different so I could
switch back when PCMCIA killed me.

#
other = /dev/hda1   # This says boot this active partition
   label = dos           #  Label that matches my sometimes used default or
I can type in.
   table = /dev/hda    # This tells it where to find the partition table to
pass to the other OS.

This is off my laptop, which is dual boot (finally got Windows to install,
but that is another story) and gets lotsa new goodies when they come out
because it is just a workstation, so if I try something and it bombs, all I
have to do is take it off.  Rebooting is no big deal because I don't miss
anything like I would on my server.