[CLUE-Talk] Linux versus Gartner

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu Jun 14 22:35:42 MDT 2001

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Good arguments regarding Linux marketshare.
>
> Kevin
>
> http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/06/20010614115243.shtml
Sometimes to make the numbers look good, you just have to ask the right
question.  Yes, the new dual 900's with a gig of ram and raid 5 cheetah
scsi drives are shipping with NT (Just got one at work), but the old
cast-off PC playing server running Linux is also there (like the fact
that my single 366, 96M ram, EIDE laptop is faster at database tasks as
soon as I get past 3 simultaneous connections).  Take the old PC, add
some memory, and a big hard drive, and a tape backup.  Instant server.

Let's look at the numbers a different way:
If 25% (most surveys say 27%) of servers are Linux and 60% are NT, but
80% of the new servers are shipped with NT and 8% with Linux, then it
means that for every time a third of the Linux servers need to be
upgraded, 20% of the NT servers have already needed to be upgraded
twice, or that you are more than 4 times as likely to need to upgrade
your NT server.

Hello, boys and girls, can you say TCO?  I knew you could.