[CLUE-Talk] Trying Out Debian

Matthew Porter mfporter at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 14 11:35:14 MST 2001

My Red Hat installation has finally outgrown the partition it lives
on, so as I type this the good folks at UPS are delivering to me a
new 8.4 gig drive (the biggest thing my creaky old motherboard can
handle) which will be devoted entirely to Linux.

Thanks to Bdale Garbee's outstanding presentations at last November's
CLUE meeting, I want to give Debian GNU/Linux a try.  So, I'd like to
toss out a few general questions:

1 - Where's a good place around here to get an official Debian CD
set?  I'd prefer to buy from a local store, but failing that I'd buy
from a chain store or an online vendor.

2 - Anyone have hints/tips/warnings/dire prophesies for someone who's
used to Red Hat and is about to install Debian?

3 - Any particular problems I should watch for if I'm installing
Debian to a second hard drive, rather than my computer's main hard
drive?  (I'd like to keep my old Red Hat installation accessible on
the first drive until my new installation is up and running and good
to go.)

Thanks,

 --Matt.

Matthew Porter