[CLUE-Talk] Trying Out Debian

rfrank rfrank at rfrank.net
Wed Mar 14 19:40:26 MST 2001

On Wednesday 14 March 2001 11:35, Matthew Porter wrote:

> 1 - Where's a good place around here to get an official Debian CD
> set?

I got mine at MicroCenter, not in the boxed set but one row over, in the
CD jewel case aisle.  I'd check SoftPro first, then MicroCenter.  It's
2.2 Debian Potato.  You can install it and then upgrade it to 2.2 R2
easily over a network.  Once you buy Debian, you never have to buy
it again.  You can even upgrade to Woody if you want with a simple
change to /etc/apt/sources.lst and an `apt-get dist-upgrade`.

> 2 - Anyone have hints/tips/warnings/dire prophesies for someone who's
> used to Red Hat and is about to install Debian?

The learning curve can be steep, but wow once you've figured out
the "Debian Way" to do things, it's very comfortable and efficient.
Also, the #debian IRC channel on irc.debian.org is very helpful.

Roger Frank