[CLUE-Talk] Trying Out Debian

Matt Armstrong matt at lickey.com
Thu Mar 15 01:38:46 MST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:35:14AM -0700, Matthew Porter wrote:

> 2 - Anyone have hints/tips/warnings/dire prophesies for someone who's
> used to Red Hat and is about to install Debian?

The #1 tips I give new Debian people deal mostly with the package
managment system, which is not based on rpm.  (and my major point of
confusion when dealing with a Red Hat system is rpm!)

dpkg is the analog to rpm.  apt-get is the analog to rpmfind.  Both
attempt to do more than their "red hat" equivalents.

Debian has no fancy xconfigurator style program.  There is XF86Setup and
xf86config, both straight from the XFfree86 project.  You might just
copy your /etc/X11/XF86Config file from your Red Hat install to start.
Say you have a file on disk, and want to know what package manages it?

    dpkg -S the-file
What packages do I have installed?

    dpkg -l the-file
Have a package and want to know what is in it?

    dpkg -L the-package

This is useful to find things like where the config files are.  E.g.:

    dpkg -L apache | grep etc

shows me:

/etc
/etc/apache
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/apache
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.daily/apache
Find a package and want to install it?

    apt-get install the-package
The docs for a given package are always in either /usr/doc/<package> or
/usr/share/doc/<package>.  The config files are always under /etc.  The
manpages can be found with "man" -- and you can do "dpkg -L the-package
| grep man" for a list.
The http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages page is extremely useful when
looking for specific packages.  You can search the package descriptions,
or their contents.  Quite frequently, when compiling something I might
get "can't find foo.h" compile errors -- I can use the packages page to
search for foo.h and find which package has it.

--
matt