[CLUE-Talk] Setting up QMail

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Thu Mar 29 16:13:59 MST 2001

Hi Guys,

I have been setting up a Linux server for Q-Mail. After
several hours of testing, I believe that the server is
configured correctly.

The server is a development server and only requires local
delivery of mail. I don't need a connection to the internet.

All documentation that I have found relating to mail
servers, QMail included, states that DNS must be available,
with a bona fide registered domain name and an entry
registered with someone's DNS server. Does this mean that
I still need to run a DNS server? Even with local mail
delivery? I don't really want the extra hassle of setting
up another server.

I am not sure whether the setup is complete. I believe that
my configuration is now complete. I have the server listed
in /etc/hosts.

Prior to installing QMail, my /etc/resolv.conf file contained
two name servers:

	206.124.0.254
	206.124.1.254

I had many mail delivery failures. Mail was not delivered to
the intended recipient. However, in each case the failure
notification was delivered to postmaster.

After many attempts at sending mail, I amended the
/etc/resolv.conf file to read:

	search localhost
	206.124.0.254
	206.124.1.254

The server then started delivery mail correctly. It seems
that I have found the correct configuration.

My question is this: Are there any more changes that I need
to make to the configuration?

Match