[CLUE-Talk] E-Mail Clients... A shameless plug...

R Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Sat May 5 03:43:36 MDT 2001

On Friday 04 May 2001 16:26, Match wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I found a really great E-Mail client
> "Sylpheed".

Well, if Match likes it, it's worth a look, so I did.  Here are a
few observations...

I tried it with Debian.  The .deb file is available, but trying
to install it gave me many dependencies problems, with
about six other packages wanting to be upgraded to newer
versions.  That made me nervous.  So I grabbed the tarball
and went that route.  It's been since Slackware that I went
that route, but it was easy and worked well.

Mailbox formats are different than with kmail, so I couldn't
use sylpheed with my old folders.  I wonder if there is a
conversion utility.  It's 3:35 AM and there's not much else
happening, so maybe I'll look into that next.

I do like that sylpheed allows me to get mail from many
different pop servers.  I don't like that the 'From' line shows
who I sent the mail to, not who sent it.  That seems like
a really obvious error, so I'm thinking I have it misconfigured.

I'll try it -- it didn't feel quite right using kmail with
my Gnome desktop as I had been doing.  This is my first email
going out with sylpheed.  Thanks for the recommendation, Match.

--
Roger Frank
www.rfrank.net