[CLUE-Talk] Was: [CLUE-Tech] Fwd: voluntary blackout [thought this was a neat idea]]

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Thu May 24 12:47:58 MDT 2001

Everyone,

You've hit a button of mine and I see both sides of the same coin, and
Linux is INDIRECTLY involved. How is Linux involved do you say?  When I
can run ONE Linux box to handle a job whereas I need TWO Microsoft boxes
because of the failovers or it crashing once a day, now the issue DOES
become an energy policy. When servers farms take up 4,5, or 20 times as
much energy as ONE IBM S/390 mainframe running Linux (don't hold me to
the accuracy, it's the principle.  See Jan 8, 2001 Infoworld page 28 to
see that an average single family home uses 3 kilowatts of power and a
commercial office building uses the equivelent of 100 homes and a web
hoster uses 100 commercial office buildings of energy), it affects
energy policies!! While Linux is not IMMEDIATELY seen in this issue, to
not think through how Linux can affect it is to be short sighted.

When it comes to natural resources, such as energy, there is a finite
amount of it deposited in the worlds geography, i.e. we can't grow some
of it because it is non-renewable energy such as oil and natural gas.
However, some of it is renewable, such as solar, wind, or cow dung ;-).
As I've seen it stated, America has about a 60% dependency on foreign
oil whereas about a decade or so back it was less than 40%.  Supply and
demand will determine the rate with which we use oil.  See my simple
equation:

  Unknown supply   +   Known supply
(+ new energy sources)
  ---------------------------------  = Time to empty tanks
       Demand   -   Efficiencies
                (+ new technologies)

Environmental extremists point out that we have a limited amount of
supply which is somewhat true, however I rephrase that saying we have a
finite amount of supply, but it is currently unknown.  We don't know if
we've found 40% of the worlds known supply or 70% or even 10%, we just
don't know.  On the other hand, always saying that we need to drill for
more oil as the only answer to our energy policy is just as bad.  As you
can see from my gross equation above that any changes in either side of
the supply or demand equation will affect how long we have before we run
out of energy.

Ultimately, it'll come down to who can afford what.  When the costs of
our current energy situation cause the costs of other forms of energy to
look more affordable, such as fuel cells, then people will migrate to
these new energies. See these sites:

http://216.51.18.233/index_e.html
http://www.nrel.gov/  This is down the street from you ;-)

Please don't get me wrong, I like looking at both sides of the same
issue.

Kevin